You don’t really need a recipe for oatmeal, but here’s one anyway. This is the way I’ve made mine every week for the last 3 years. I make a batch every Monday morning and it gives me breakfast every day for a week. This is another recipe that’s very customizable, so swap things you like in or out!
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Steel-Cut Oats (not an ad, just a good compromise between the cook time of rolled oats and the filling-ness of steel cut oats; replace with what you have)
- 2 cups water (or whatever the package says)
- Big pinch salt
- 4 large or 5 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp flax seed
- Toppings: plant milk, seeds, nuts, nut butter, fresh fruit, etc.
- Put oats, water, and salt in a pot and bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce to low and cover.
- Meanwhile, mash the bananas. Add them and the blueberries, cinnamon, and flax seed to the pot. Simmer the oatmeal until it’s at your desired consistency.
- Serve with your choice of toppings! I do a couple tablespoons of peanut butter, some hemp hearts, a pinch of sunflower seeds, and a splash of oat milk.
- To reheat: put refrigerated oatmeal in a bowl with plant milk and nut butter (if using). Microwave, stir, then add toppings. Enjoy!