Immediate actions to take on First Nations, Inuit, and Métis issues across Canada:
- Improve childcare programs and supports for Indigenous parents to reduce the number of Indigenous children removed from their homes
- Improve Indigenous language programs and their accessibility
- Conduct a federal study on the treatment of Indigenous patients in the healthcare system and their access to healthcare, and conduct cultural sensitivity training at all hospitals
- Improve access to STEM education in Indigenous communities
- Increase funding to Indigenous infrastructure projects
- Listen to Indigenous Members of Parliament – stop talking down to them and ignoring their concerns. All government officials must take education in Indigenous issues
- Re-evaluate criteria and documentation + efficacy of status vs. non-status Indian designations
- Reduce funding to the RCMP and other police forces and increase funding to social workers for Indigenous communities
- Provide government-funded healing spaces for Indigenous peoples
- Improve housing and access to affordable housing for Indigenous communities, especially in the North
- Increase funding promised to residential school burial sites; $27 M federally and $10 M in Ontario have been promised… But to compare, Air Canada, a private corporation, is receiving a $5.9 B bailout
- Improve access to mental health and financial supports for residential school and day school survivors
- Immediately deal with water quality problems. It’s 2021. Boil water advisories should not exist in Indigenous communities
- Listen to land defenders. Stop drilling, stop logging, stop taking water at disturbingly low cost. Respect the desires of land defenders.
Happy Indigenous People’s Day!